Skip to main content

My favorite Air Dry Clays

 Favorites change day by day for some people but I have found some reliable products that I suggest using.
 Air dry clay takes about 3 days to dry but that is the minimum I have found. Anywhere from 3-7 days is for any object to be completely dry not just to the touch. I consider clays dry when they are completely dry on the inside and outside.

Raccoon Honey I just got so I haven't used it yet.
Hearty is a Japanese brand resin clay.
Crayola makes Model Magic and their own form of air dry ceramic clay.
Creatology is very cheap and good for simple sculptures.
I did not include Kutsuwa brand clay since I don't like it very much.
I don't like Debika clays either I find them to be along the lines of Kutsuwa clay.

Kutsuwa clay - very moist paper clay that is easy to mold, mix with glue to soften the clay if it dries out. Feels spongy when wet but dries hard.
 Takes over 5 days to dry hard (not just to the touch but throughout the clay), light weight hard texture when absolutely dry.
Pros- easy to use and mold. Kutsuwa molds are excellent. Does not shrink when drying.
Cons - too long to dry, not enough colors, comes in too small packages for the price. Glitter clays are unusable absolutely dry and don't hold shape does not mix with paint well. 

Hearty Clay - soft medium texture clay that dries hard.
This is a resin clay which we don't usually see in the US but it dries to a hard solid form. If you like polymer baking clay then try Hearty brand.
Pros - easy to use, easy to mix with paint, regular drying time of 3-5 days. Does not shrink when drying. lots of colors available from international sellers.
Cons - hard to get in US, price is inflated from most international sellers.

Debika clay - similar to the Kutsuwa clay the Debika is softer than Kutsuwa. Debika is a toy maker so the clay is meant for older children like 8-11. Not a lot of colors many fake sweets and sweets deco pieces. I found it to be almost identical to Kutsuwa clay it was just a bit drier.
Pros- more advanced clay that Kutsuwa, dries in 3-4 days.
Cons - Debika molds are made of Styrofoam so they are not as durable as Kustuwa molds. This is not a multipurpose clay. Dries it a flimsy texture, spongy in a bad way. I threw out many pieces I made with Debika clay. The liquid clay (for making frosting) is better but not by much.

Creatology - almost the same as model magic, it is a less advanced clay. Does not hold as much of a shape as the model magic. Good for kids crafting and making basic shapes. I have not tried mixing it with paint, but I can already tell its not going to be good.
Pros - dries faster than model magic, holds its shape when modeled by hand comes in large packs for less than $3.
Cons - only has limited colors, not good for complex molds or designs.

Model Magic - My staple clay, Model magic mixes with paint and holds its shape in complex and simple molds. It takes a long time to dry, its a drier clay that softens as you use it. Dries to a spongy texture that is similar to the Kutsuwa brand clay.
Pro - reliable clay that comes in a huge assortment of colors. Easy to mold and sculpt for kids and adults. Crayola molds are really good and multipurpose. affordable and come in 2lb multipacks.
Cons - takes up to 7 days to dry completely inside and outside. Spongy texture may not be practical for jewelry making, because it is lightweight. (some people think light weight means cheap but that's not true)

Crayola Air Dry Clay - the air dry clay is excellent for sculpting, I have used it to make dolls. BJD lovers might want to try using the Crayola Air Dry Clay. Dries to a ceramic finish. There are paper fibers in it that absorb moisture yet the ceramic powder gives it a professional look when its dry. For any age over 3 with parent supervision. Of course that means adults as well.  The white goes from a cardboard color to a white color when dry. I recommend this clay for people who are used to ceramic clays, artist grade clays and kiln baking clays.
Pros - great for sculpting, doll making, jewelry making and other sustainable projects. DO NOT MIX WITH PAINT or else ruin the clay. Paint after it has completely dried.
Cons - comes in three colors only.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marc Jacobs Blaquer Mascara

So I may be the last person in the word right now to tell everyone what I think of Marc Jacobs beauty but slowly I'm making my way through the products.  http://www.sephora.com/lash-lifter-gel-volume-mascara-P379421 The first product I want to talk about is the Marc Jacobs Blaquer Mascara, this product is a tubing mascara and builds up amazing volume. The wand is triangular in circumference which is really great for getting to all of my lashes, it's also very long which grabs most of them at once and since it's a tubing mascara it would need to. My eye lashes are super black and don't smudge or run and I have extremely runny eyes that just pour tears out of my outer corner whenever they are even slightly irritated. So lucky me, this mascara is yet another 25$ way too expensive product but honestly it's great. Here's the down side I do not recommend putting mascara on the top and bottom at the same time. Some mascara's don't mind touching together but sin...

Lancôme Je Ne Sais Quoi Collection

Oh You may miss out on this if your not paying attention but I was lucky enough to be in "Lordies" (Lord and Taylor) and found this wonderful collection. Lancôme calls it "Je Ne Sais Quoi" and introduced 3 matte Brightening eyeshadow palettes and 5 gorgeous single shadows! I was tempted to buy the whole collection as it was just laid out  but I'm going to have to save my pennies to get all 3 palettes.  Here go some pictures: There is one eyebrow pencil in the display as well as their staple Artliner and lash primer.  The 3 eyeshadow palettes (Beige Brûlée, Chocolate Amande, and French Nude) are matte but they have one extremely sparkly top coat (marked by the Lancôme logo imprint) shade which takes the whole cake for me . Chocolate Amande has a little more of a gold pearl shimmer in it but is not in anyway glittery. The liner shades are also of a "velux pearl" consistency and kind of throw off of the whole matte idea IMO but still gorgeous anyway. If y...

Customz - Pastel MLP

GWC Customz  - Pastel MLP (Feb 2020) View this post on Instagram A post shared by glitter_witch_crafts (@gwc_customz) The story: I bought a customizable MLP ( My Little Pony ) Figurine. It was affordable and had an interesting design. The Process: I painted it with a series of pastel colors, I made sure to blend them together in layers. Layering paints is the best method for making gradients or Ombre` effects IMO. After I was happy with the gradients I went in with special effects paints and coated the points of interest with glitter and matte sparkles.  Outcome : I was really happy with how this project came out most of my time was spent blending and building up color payoff. I do use craft paints and student grade acrylics which can be very transparent at times. Using a translucent paint does mean that painting a project can take a longer time than using heavy body paints that are thinned out. For me I am used to the process of mixing the thinned pai...